When Will My Child Be Released from Juvenile Hall?

Jerod Gunsberg, Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer

If your child is in a Los Angeles Juvenile Hall, the first thing you need to know is that there is NO BAIL in juvenile cases. The only way your child can be released is if a judge allows it.

How the Court Decides If Your Child Will Be Released From Juvenile Hall

The presumption is that a minor should be released to his or her home, but the court will consider the following factors in deciding whether to release the child:

  1. The likelihood that your child will run away and not return to court
  2. The safety of your child
  3. The protection of other people’s property or safety

Community Detention Program (House Arrest)

If the court is not inclined to release your child from custody, a competent Los Angeles County juvenile defense attorney will argue for “Community Detention Program” (aka “CDP”).

CDP is house arrest. Your child will be required to wear an electronic monitor around his or her ankle that is tracked by a telephone line in your home (you need to have a land-line in your house). The monitoring system will track at what times your child is at home. Of course, your child can and will be required to attend school while on CDP.

If your child is in counseling, stays after school for tutoring, has regular medical appointments, or needs to be elsewhere besides home and school while on CDP, the court will need to specifically approve this. Be sure your child’s lawyer beings this to the court’s attention and asks for permission.

Parents’ Role at the Detention Hearing

Parents play a key role at the detention hearing. The judge will ask the parents questions about the child’s behavior at home. Parents will likely be asked whether the child is obeying the parents, attending school, or presenting any behavior or disciplinary problems.

Often, parents are angry with their children and think that juvenile hall will “teach them a lesson.” However, parents need to think very carefully before they tell the judge to lock up their kid for awhile. This can present many problems for your child’s case.

It is important to speak with a qualified juvenile defense attorney regarding your or your child’s case. For a free and confidential consultation, contact juvenile defense attorney Jerod Gunsberg in Los Angeles at (323) 633-3423 or get in touch via the secure contact form on this page.

Let's talk